Richard Roth, PhD, the Executive Director of Impact DWI, Inc., a community action and advocacy organization with the mission of reducing drunk driving and raising community awareness of the dangers of alcohol abuse in New Mexico, recently released the seventh annual survey of currently-installed ignition interlocks. The survey is a compilation of data from the thirteen interlock companies and forty-three state sources in the US.
Highlights of the Report
- There are approximately 279,000 interlocks-currently installed in the US.
- Interlock installations have increased ~14% since last year.
- Approximately 20% of those arrested for drunk driving (and about 28% of those convicted for drunk driving) are installing interlocks.
- There are about nine currently-installed interlocks per 10,000 residents in the US.
- Ten states have more than 9,000 currently-installed interlocks. Twenty eight states have fewer than 4,000.
- The five states with the largest number of currently-installed interlocks are Texas, Washington, California, Colorado and Arizona.
- The five states with the largest number of currently-installed interlocks per capita are New Mexico, Washington, Colorado, Alaska and Arizona.
This is excellent progress for MADD’s Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving®, which aims to require all drunk drivers to prove they are sober with ignition interlock devices before they can start their car.However, more remains to be done when less than a third of all drunk drivers have interlocks installed on their vehicles. We need to pass ignition interlock laws in every state, and you can help by contacting your lawmakers.