Search our Blog

Subscribe to receive posts via email:

Reaching Out to Victims
By MADD | March 4, 2013| 2 Comments | Filed in: Victim Services

Hopefully by now you know that MADD is first and foremost a victim services organization—as we like to say, “We help survivors survive.” We have more than 1,200 trained victim advocates nationwide who can help bereaved families and injured victims/survivors.  What you may not know is how we first connect with the victim/survivors we serve.

Often, a victim/survivor will contact MADD directly through their local MADD office or call MADD’s National Help Line (1-877-623-3435). But many times victim/survivors don’t feel comfortable contacting MADD, or are unaware of what services MADD has to offer crash victim/survivors.  That’s when we reach out.

MADD victim advocates may learn about an alleged impaired driving crash through working relationship with the victim witness coordinators at the District Attorney or Sheriff’s office, or through law enforcement agencies. Other time they hear about them in the news—advocates scan newspapers and news websites regularly for crash information.

After we hear about an alleged impaired driving crash, a “We Care” card is sent to the victims, typically two weeks after the crash occurred.  The cards inform victims of what services MADD can provide.  Then, if we have their phone number, a MADD advocate will place a follow up call after a “We Care” card has been mailed.

We strive to be respectful and considerate of the people we reach out to and serve.  We would never want to be perceived as aggressive or hurtful to a victim/survivor and by doing so cause further harm.  Our job is to support and empower those who have been affected by this violent crime, and sometimes it’s those little details, such as that first contact, that make a big difference.

If you or someone you know is a victim/survivor of an impaired driving crash, MADD is here for you.  Services are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year through our Help Line: 877.MADD.HELP.  If you are interested in becoming a victim advocate, click here to connect with your local office.



Submitted by SassyLady at 05:27 PM on March 7, 2013
I have a daughter who will be 49 in April, She has been addicted to pain pills and other drugs since the age of 15, I have tried every thing to help her. This past Jan 1st she totaled her car and didn't remember anything. As a Mother i had to turn my back on her which was very hard, I'm sicken with ehr actions. She has lost her home , Her Hubby and kids. but yet she says i'm the bad person. I posted pics of her car on facebook Titled @Drinking and popping pills wrong choice.
Submitted by nickolas montgomery at 08:02 AM on March 6, 2013
Please share this If you have been watching the news about Shawn curry,how many times can a cop get a DUI , in 12/25/96 he hit me drunk doing 80 miles a hour while he was a county cop Before that he was a JC cop till he hit a family in a van head on, which his wife was called to get the open case of beer away from the accident, that's when he for a transfer to a county cop a where he had two more wrecks one out by the airport, the other one by the the herrin firestation which I was in were I was in a coma for 2 weeks and had to learn to talk and walk again, then ten years to the day he had another DUI now another one and his lawyer if bob drew and how does he still have his license for what he got into ,,, justice is blind

Leave a Comment

Enter this word:

Powered by Convio
nonprofit software