It may be a new year, but the fight against drunk driving is still as vital as ever. Last year we learned that drunk driving deaths increased for the first time in six years… a trend we are determined to get back on track.
So now, at this time of the year, a time of new beginnings, we are recommitting ourselves to making an impact in the fight against drunk driving and saving lives in 2014.
This year, our goals are to:
- Continue introducing new legislation to states that currently do not require convicted drunk drivers to use ignition interlock devices. Help us by emailing your legislators to advocate for change. In 2013, MADD supporters helped require interlocks for all offenders in two more states (Maine and Tennessee), but we still have 30 states to go.
- Educate law enforcement, judiciary, highway safety groups and lawmakers on the benefits of ignition interlock devices to help increase the number in use. Learn more about ignition interlocks.
- Support the technologies that will eliminate drunk driving in the long-term. Learn more here. (We just got the good news that funding for this program has been extended, so we’ve taken another step toward ending drunk driving.)
- Expand the public awareness and reach of MADD victim services. Learn more about MADD Victim Services.
- Recruit and train more volunteer victim advocates. You can become a volunteer here.
- Reach more parents with the Power of Parents handbook and more youth with the Power of Youth teen booklet.
We’re looking forward to working with you for a 2014 full of progress!