Halloween night is one of the deadliest nights of the year because of those driving under the influence. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, on Halloween night in 2009, 48 percent of all highway fatalities across the nation involved a driver or a motorcycle rider with a BAC of .08 or higher.
MADD urges both partygoers and trick-or-treaters to plan ahead to keep everyone safe.
Hosting a Halloween party:
- Never serve alcohol to those under the age of 21
- Plan safe parties, including providing non-alcoholic drink options to guests and not serving alcohol during the last hour of the party
- Be prepared to get everyone home safe in case your plans change
- Be extra alert when crossing the street
- Wear bright, reflective clothing or add reflective tape to costume and treat bucket
- Bring a flashlight (with extra batteries) so you can see and be seen at night
Do your part to help keep this Halloween merry, not scary, by planning ahead and designating a sober driver.