As the year comes to a close, I reflect on all of our 2011 achievements. With your help, this year we:
- served more than 60,000 victims, survivors and others impacted by drunk and drugged driving
- extended all offender ignition interlock laws to 15 states
- held our first annual PowerTalk21 Day®
- celebrated our fifth anniversary of the Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving® by releasing a Report to the Nation
- reached the milestone of cutting drunk driving by more than half since MADD was founded
- held 51 Walk Like MADD events across the country
But our fight is far from over. Each year, more than 10,000 people are killed by drunk driving, and hundreds of thousands more are injured.
In 2012, with your support, we will continue to advocate for technology that can turn cars into the cure for drunk driving, help parents start an ongoing dialogue with their children about the dangers of underage drinking, increase sobriety checkpoints, push for designated drivers, and help more than 60,000 victims, friends, family members and loved ones dealing with this horrific crime.
But we can’t do it alone. Please consider making a donation to MADD before midnight, December 31st so we can get a great start for 2012 in the fight against drunk driving (and you can receive a 2011 tax deduction*).
Thank you, and have a safe and happy holiday season,
MADD National President
*Donations are fully tax-deductible as allowed by law.