Tie One On For Safety
The time period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day is the most dangerous time of year on our nation’s roadways. That’s why every holiday season, MADD asks drivers to put a MADD red ribbon in a visible location on their vehicle as a reminder to drive safe, sober and buckled up.
Started in 1986, Tie One On For Safety® is MADD’s longest running and most visible public awareness project. The name Tie One On For Safety comes from the phrase “tie one on,” which is slang for getting drunk. But at MADD we use the phrase to remind everyone that drinking and driving don’t mix.
How can you participate in Tie One On For Safety?
This holiday season, you can demonstrate you commitment to eliminate drunk driving in several ways:
- Put safety before the party and always designate a non-drinking driver BEFORE the celebration begins to ensure everyone arrives home alive.
- Display a MADD red ribbon in a visible location on your vehicles. Red ribbons, magnets and window decals (donated by SmartSign) are available through local MADD affiliates.
- Host parties responsibly by offering mock-tails and other non-alcoholic beverages, and by providing alternate transportation or accommodations for guests who have been drinking. Click here for more safe party tips.
- Learn more about the Cocktail Expressions tie collection.
- Tie One On For Safety “virtually” by sharing one of these buttons on Facebook (Click to share):