Location: Irving, Texas
Mothers Against Drunk Driving headquarters is looking for a motivated, highly organized individual who excels when working independently on compliance, legal oversight for fundraising, and regulatory tasks with minimal supervision. Previous working experience in a law firm or in-house legal department a must.
Support and run day-to-day management of organization’s charity registrations, state designated annual reports, sales tax exemptions, and other regulatory filings. Provide legal oversight of MADD’s fundraising efforts on a national level, including reviewing and approving fundraising materials as applicable. Assist General Counsel in conducting high level Board objectives, such as the annual new Board member search and the bi-annual National President search. Manage and electronically process contracts within the organization for appropriate approvals, execution, and record retention.
Foster a culture of philanthropy within MADD. Be a positive influencer and resource for employees within the company.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and maintain company-wide charity registrations and other legal filings in numerous states and localities. Able and willing to partner with other departments, specifically Finance, to obtain the information needed for state specific filings.
- Provide legal oversight of fundraising materials and provide suggested edits (if needed) for compliance purposes in accordance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Provide guidance to employees on contract, legal, and fundraising matters, including training new and existing employees regarding contract and fundraising best practices.
- Support and advise on trademark and copyright issues that may arise in fundraising efforts.
- Develop best practices for trademark use within the organization and assist General Counsel in training employees on proper trademark use.
- Act as Legal Department liaison between employees and the organization’s liability insurance provider, ensuring timely review and approval of insurance coverage requests. Prepare required reports for annual liability insurance policy renewals.
- Prepare materials for the Board of Directors’ meetings as needed. Coordinate annual Board Survey process, including distributing survey materials and analyzing results.
- Assist General Counsel with annual new board member search and bi-annual National President search.
- Develop and implement procedures for contract processing and management pursuant to company policy.
- Perform legal research under the supervision and direction of General Counsel and prepare inter-office memoranda as needed.
- Coordinate with outside counsel as needed, specifically on bequest matters that require filings and sign-offs needed to release funds.
- Compile information and create reports relevant to the Legal Department utilizing a variety of business software products such as Docusign, Dropbox, and JIRA.
- Process bills and invoices and prepare requests for checks subject to management approval.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience, including knowledge of rules and regulations around non-profit fundraising. Previous experience with a non-profit organization is highly desirable but not required.
- Ability to work both independently and with others to resolve challenging issues, while maintaining composure and professionalism in an environment of multiple priorities.
- Strong organizational skills, be detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and execute in a high-volume environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to develop and convey thoughts clearly, logically and concisely both orally and in writing, using appropriate grammar and command of the English language.
- Must be able to work on a timetable, meet deadlines, follow instructions and accept direction on given assignments.
- Must have demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and be familiar with entering data into on-line systems, such as Concur.
- Ability to maintain social, ethical and organizational standards in job related activities, at work and in the community.
- Ability to maintain workplace confidentiality and take ownership/accountability for own actions and aspects of the job.
- Paralegal certification and notary public status preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment, passion and compassion for the mission of MADD.
Typical Physical and Mental Demands –
This position requires working in an office setting and is generally considered sedentary, although this position may require long hours, handling conflicts and making decisions under pressure. This position may require you to: be in a stationary position for extended periods; move or traverse in a space for short periods; occasionally transport items with a maximum weight of 25 pounds (such as boxes); communicate with other individuals; and perceive and exchange information. The noise level is from quiet to moderate. This position requires the ability to operate a computer and other office machines such as copier, fax, calculator and telephone. This position must be able to maintain confidentiality. This position may require a valid State Driver’s License and proof of insurance because the individual may be required to drive to alternate locations away from the office. Critical thinking, active learning, listening, writing, speaking, negotiating, persuasion, judgment and the ability to work under pressure may be mandatory for this position.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions – The physical demands, work environment factors and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: Around $80,000 based on experience.
- Eligible within first 30 days
- Health, Dental, Vision
- Retirement 403(b) + 3% matching after 1 year
- Minimum 3 weeks Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays per calendar year
- Up to 3 Floating Holidays per calendar year
- Paid Sick Time
- Modified Educational Assistance
- Parental Leave
- Basic Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance covered by Employer
- FSA, HRA
- Employee Assistance Program
- WFH Split: Four days in-person, One day work-from-home per week (90 day eligibility)
MADD is providing PPE equipment to all employees and safety training. This role reports in-person at MADD’s National headquarters in Irving, TX. WFH Split: Four days in-person, One day work-from-home (after 90 day eligibility).
How to Apply
Please provide resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to DJ Merino at Legal@MADD.org