Location: Richmond, Virginia
Do you have a passion for public relations? Do you like working for a mission driven organization? If so, MADD Virginia is hiring a Public Relations Specialist located out of the Richmond Virginia office. Strong interpersonal skills and a self-starter are a plus for this role! Hybrid work from home schedule available. Some travel required, and some non-traditional work hours may be necessary.
The Public Relations Specialist serves as a key part of MADD’s local media relations activation. Ensuring the marketing and communications of the state builds, supports and defends the MADD brand through the development of an integrated marketing communications plan, increased media awareness and coverage, and brand measurement and evaluation.
Foster a culture of philanthropy within MADD. Be a leader for other staff and volunteers to institutionalize philanthropy within the organization.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Research, write, edit and publish releases, alerts, articles and other materials in support of local activations, mission and MADD’s brand. Manage approval process for all.
- Organize and execute local media relations activities, including press conferences and media events, in support of MADD’s mission.
- Generate website, blog and social media content, especially in support of the MADD mission activities.
- Lead local public relations campaigns to garner public support, including event planning, media relations and community engagement.
- Coordinate with MADD National Staff all requests for appearance/participation of MADD National President with territory/state. Oversee the submission and logistics of such requests to MADD National Staff liaison.
- Promptly and appropriately respond to media inquiries.
- Proactively pitch media outlets and contacts to secure positive news coverage for MADD state/region and its initiatives.
- Build media lists, track media coverage, and generate coverage reports. Measure and evaluate MADD’s brand and local media coverage in alignment with the overall marketing communications plan for the state/region.
- Interface with Government Affairs office to incorporate key federal and local legislative efforts as appropriate.
- Support the local staff with various communication and public relations aspects of projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field required.
- Minimum of three years communications related work experience.
- Ability to travel and work non-traditional hours, when necessary.
- Strong organizational skills, be detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and execute in a high-volume environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to develop and convey thoughts clearly, logically and concisely both orally and in writing, using appropriate grammar and command of the English language.
- Ability to work both independently and with others to resolve issues and maintain composure and professionalism in an environment of changing and/or multiple priorities.
- Must be able to work on a time table, meet deadlines, follow instructions and accept direction on given assignments.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to maintain a high activity level.
- Ability to tolerate stressful situations and maintain a professional demeanor during times of stress.
- Must have exceptional internal and external customer service orientation.
- Must have demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and be familiar with entering data into on-line systems. Should also have basic record keeping and math skills.
- Must have working knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain social, ethical and organizational standards in job related activities, at work and in the community.
- Ability to maintain workplace confidentiality and take ownership/accountability for own actions and aspects of the job.
- Demonstrated commitment, passion and compassion for the mission of MADD.
Typical Physical and Mental Demands
This position requires working in an office setting and is generally considered sedentary, although this position may require long hours, handling conflicts and making decisions under pressure. This position may require you to: be in a stationary position for extended periods; move or traverse in a space for short periods; occasionally transport items with a maximum weight of 25 pounds (such as boxes); communicate with other individuals; and perceive and exchange information. The noise level is from quiet to moderate. This position requires the ability to operate a computer and other office machines such as fax, calculator and telephone. This position must be able to maintain confidentiality. This position may require a valid State Driver’s License and proof of insurance because the individual may be required to drive to alternate locations away from the office. Critical thinking, active learning, listening, writing, speaking, negotiating, persuasion, judgment and the ability to work under pressure may be mandatory for this position.
This field position is normally funded by a grant for a specific period of time. In the event the grant is discontinued, the position may be eliminated.
Travel: 30-40% Mileage and travel costs will be reimbursed.
- Eligible within first 30 days
- Health, Dental, Vision
- Retirement 403(b) + 3% employer matching
- Minimum 3 weeks Vacation
- 12 Paid Holidays per calendar year
- Up to 3 Floating Holidays per calendar year
- Paid Sick Time
- Modified Educational Assistance
- Parental Leave
- Basic Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance covered by Employer
- FSA, HRA
- Employee Assistance Program
- Hybrid remote/in person position with 1-2 days working from home when not in the office or field.
MADD is providing PPE equipment to all employees and safety training. This role reports in-person at MADD’s local office in Richmond, VA at least 3 days per week. Hybrid remote/in person position with 1-2 days working from home when not in the office or field.
How to Apply
Please provide resume to Roderick Howard at Roderick.Howard@madd.org