On Monday, August 21st, when many states will witness an amazing and rare total solar eclipse, Mothers Against Drunk Driving® (MADD) wants to remind everyone to designate a non-drinking driver if their plans to enjoy the occasion include alcohol.
Agencies across the nation have been reminding everyone to be safe and wear protective eyewear while watching the eclipse. But there is also another danger during any big event like this: drunk driving. If you plan ahead, you can help make sure your party doesn’t end in tragedy.
If everyone designates a non-drinking driver every time their plans include alcohol, we could “Eclipse Drunk Driving—on August 21st and beyond. Drunk driving is 100% preventable, and a day of No More Victims® is within our reach. Our Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving will achieve just that through law enforcement support, ignition interlocks for all offenders, advanced vehicle technology and public support.
We’ve included some party tips below to consider for your eclipse celebrations:
- As guests RSVP, confirm they have a plan for a safe way home via a non-drinking designated driver, like UBER.
- Do not push drinks! Drinking at a party is not mandatory for having a good time.
- Provide plenty of food to keep your guests from drinking alcohol on an empty stomach.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages or mocktails for non-drinking designated drivers and others who prefer not to drink alcohol.
- Never serve alcohol to someone under 21 and never ask anyone under 21 to serve alcohol at parties.
- If, despite your efforts, some of your guests drink too much, never let them drive home impaired.
- Have fun—but not too much fun. To be a good host, you should stay within your limits in order to make sure your guests stay within theirs.
Let’s eclipse drunk driving together! Give today to the lifechanging work MADD does to end these preventable tragedies.