The holidays can be hard for people whose loved ones have died. Take care of yourself this season with these tips:
- Set priorities by doing only the things you want to and are capable of doing. Give yourself permission to say “no.”
- Make a plan for your holiday celebrations—take control of them instead of letting them take control of you.
- Learn to ask for and accept help from family and friends.
- Be careful not to isolate yourself. It is OK to take time for yourself, but try not to cut yourself off from the support of family and friends.
- Understand that the holidays may affect other family members differently. As you make plans, share your feelings and respect others’ choices and needs.
- Expect some emotional pain. When the feelings come, embrace them.
- Accept a few invitations to be with close family or friends. Choose the ones that sound most appealing and decline those that feel like obligations.
- Give yourself permission to experience joy.
If you need any additional assistance, please call 1-877-MADD-HELP (877-623-3435). MADD is just a phone call away.