MADD supports our law enforcement heroes and all they do to keep Tennesseans safe! In fact, one of the key components to our Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving is High Visibility Law Enforcement Efforts. When people think they’ll be caught, they’re less likely to drive after drinking. That’s why MADD supports high-visibility law enforcement efforts. This includes sobriety checkpoints, which can reduce drunk driving deaths by 17%. Bottom line: strong drunk driving enforcement is one of the strongest deterrents, preventing people from committing the crime. Learn more about the High Visibility Law Enforcement Efforts supported by MADD.
For Law Enforcement Personnel:
MADD Tennessee offers several resources and services to support the important work you do.
- MADD recognizes the risks inherent to officers as they put their own lives on the line to keep us safe and honors those with a proven track record of diligent determination to keep drunk and drugged drivers off our roads. Awards are given annually for DUI enforcement based on reported numbers from supervisors. Additional service awards are given for exemplary service in support of MADD’s mission. These awards are application based and can be submitted by anyone in honor of worthy candidates. For more information on our MADD Law Enforcement Recognition awards, click here.
- MADD offers free Sobriety Checkpoint Brochures to be handed out to drivers to help them understand the importance and significance of the checkpoint. Featuring victim photos, they add meaning and a sense of realism that calms drivers and gives a sense of perspective. Versions are available for East TN, West TN, Middle TN, and in Spanish. Available in print or PDF form. We can also provide Memorial Signs with victim photos for Memorial Checkpoints in honor of an impaired driving victim. Email email@example.com to request brochures and/or signs for your agency.
- MADD recognizes that one of the most difficult and dreaded parts of an officer’s job is having to tell a family member that their loved one is not coming home. But there is a way to do it that minimizes any additional trauma to the family or even to the law enforcement personnel who have to deliver the devastating news. MADD offers free Death Notification classes which offer insight and proven techniques with which all law enforcement personnel should be equipped. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information on the class.
- Tennessee’s All-Offender Ignition Interlock Law is an important part of MADD’s Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving. We have gathered information that may be helpful to officers when encountering drivers who have a device installed or who have been ordered to have a device installed including TCA codes that may need for citations regarding violations of this law.
- We also have additional free print resources available for law enforcement available upon request:
a. Victim Services Posters that can be hung for potential victims to see.
b. Wallet sized Victim Resources brochures that can be given to victims for referral to MADD TN support.