TIE ONE ON FOR SAFETY®,
Some of the most dangerous days of the year on our nation’s roadways are between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Last year 891 people were killed in drunk driving crashes which is 26 percent of total traffic fatalities during this time. That is why every holiday season from November 1st through December 31st MADD asks you to display a MADD red ribbon in a visible location to remind others to always designate a non-drinking driver.
Started in 1986, Tie One On For Safety® is MADD’s longest running and most visible public awareness project. The name comes from the phrase “tie one on,” which is slang for drinking alcohol. But at MADD we use the phrase to remind everyone that drinking and driving don’t mix.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE IN TIE ONE ON FOR SAFETY?
- Asking guests at your holiday party to donate to MADD instead of bringing a hostess gift. This gift will help us serve victims whose loved ones can’t be home for the holidays due to a drunk driving crash. Create your holiday party fundraiser at madd.org/diy.
- Distributing Tie One On for Safety ribbons at your party, available for purchase below or at your local MADD office. Find your local office here.
- Putting safety before the party and always designate a non-drinking driver BEFORE the celebration begins to ensure everyone arrives home safely.
- Display a MADD red ribbon in a visible location on your vehicles. Red ribbons, magnets and window decals are available through local MADD offices.
- Hosting parties responsibly by offering mocktails and other non-alcoholic beverages, and by providing alternate transportation or accommodations for guests who have been drinking. Get more safe party tips.
- Tie One On For Safety “virtually” by sharing one of these buttons on Facebook (Just Click!)